Q: Who should I see regarding my benefits as a disabled veteran?

A: Disabled Veterans Information: Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) Veterans who qualify for educational benefits as disabled veterans may be entitled to special education benefits. Veterans should visit the Veterans Administration Regional Office to determine their eligibility for disabled status.

Q: Is my spouse eligible to receive educational benefits from my GI Bill®?

A: Veterans' Dependents/Spouse Benefits (Chapter 35): Chapter 35 Benefits are provided to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. If you think you may qualify for this benefit, contact the Veterans Affairs office.

Q: What military educational benefits may I use at Saint Leo University?

A: The following educational benefits are available to veterans/active duty and dependents at Saint Leo University:

  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill® - Transfer of Entitlement)
  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
  • Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Reservists)
  • Chapter 1607 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Reserve Educational Assistance Program)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)
  • Active Duty Tuition Assistance


Q:  How do I know if I am eligible for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational assistance?

A: You may be eligible for VA educational assistance if: 

  • You are on, or were on active duty for at least two years, and received any honorably characterized discharge; 
  • You have a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserves, and remain in good standing with your reserve unit;
  • You are a spouse or child of a veteran who died or was totally disabled while in military service.


Q: What other financial aid might be available to me to supplement my education benefits?

A: All Saint Leo University applicants and current students are encouraged to apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) regardless of what benefits you believe you may be eligible for.

Yes, you could be eligible for other types of assistance regardless of what benefits you receive from the VA. All students should complete the Federal form Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form will review your potential eligibility for grants and other forms of funding. 


Q: How do I start my VA educational assistance benefits at the college?

A: New students at Saint Leo University who have not used any VA educational assistance programs should begin the process by applying for education benefits online using the  VON-APP system.

Reservists who have not used any of their Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606)  benefits will need the original  DD Form 2384-1: Notice of Basic Eligibility from their Reserve Unit (PDF).

Dependents who have not received  Dependents' Educational Assistance Benefits Chapter 35, will need to apply using VA Form 22-5490 or provide a previously issued Certificate of Eligibility. New Chapter 30 & 1606. Recipients will need to complete a VA Form 22-1990.

Transfer students who have received VA educational assistance benefits at other institutions of higher education only need to complete a VA 22-1995 Change in Place of Training Form, which can be obtained through the campus certifying official.

Continuing students can be certified for benefits as soon as they have pre-registered for the semester.

Disabled veterans are eligible for considerable financial help when they apply for Vocational Rehabilitation at the Department of Veterans Affairs. You must have a VA certified disability rating of at least 20 percent. You will receive authorization directly from the VA.

Paper Forms  Veteran's Educational application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, American embassies.


Q: Are VA educational benefits taxable?

A: No, veteran's benefits, paid under any law and administered by the VA should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).


Q: I receive Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 educational benefits and have to verify my enrollment each month. How do I do that?

A: Anyone receiving Chapter 30 benefits (MGIB- Active Duty) or Chapter 1606 benefits (MGIB- Selected Reserves) must verify their enrollment each month to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in order to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system or by calling the toll free, Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line, at 1-877-823-2378. Paper verification forms (VA Forms 22-8979) will no longer be issued for students receiving Chapter 30 benefits.


Q: Do students receiving Chapter 35 educational assistance need to verify their enrollment each month?

A: No, dependents or spouses receiving educational assistance under Chapter 35 do not have to verify their enrollment to the VA each month.


Q: How can I update my address or financial institution information for direct deposit?

A: You should call the Veterans Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 and visit www.va.gov to update their address and financial institution information.  


Q: What happens if I am activated during the semester?

A: If you are activated during a semester, you have a number of options open to you depending upon the length of the deployment. You should first discuss this situation with your advisor and instructors to help you decide upon a course of action. The options available to you would range from special arrangements for make-up work, to an incomplete grade, to withdrawal from a course or semester. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs would pay you educational assistance benefits up to the date you withdraw or resign from a course or semester.


Q: In addition to college work-study, are there any work-study programs designed to assist veterans?

A: Students may be eligible for  veteran’s work-study benefits. In order to be eligible, students must be receiving full-time veteran’s benefits. Learn more at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/workstudy.asp.


Useful Saint Leo Links

Military Personnel

Saint Leo University WorldWide

How to apply: