Which students might be eligible for disability services?
Students with an identified disability may be eligible for services. Examples include, but are not limited to, students with learning disabilities or ADHD or health problems or physical limitations or mental health related issues. Also, students with hearing impairments or visual disabilities or speech/communication related issues may be eligible.

How do I obtain accommodations for my disability?
University campus students may contact the Office of Disability Services at (352) 588-8464 and arrange to meet with the Assistant Director of Disability Services. Center students should arrange to meet with their Academic Advisor. All students should bring documentation of their disability to the appointment. Reference the steps outlined for requesting accommodations.

What kind of documentation must I provide to be eligible for accommodations?
Documentation must contain a diagnosis of your specific disability and a rationale for accommodations. Testing must be current; ideally your documentation has been completed within the last 3 years. (For more information, read the Policy and Procedure Manual for Students with Disabilities.)

What accommodations are available?
A wide variety of accommodations are available depending on your disability. The Assistant Director of Disability Services will work with you (and your Academic Advisor for center students) to determine which accommodations you need. All decisions are made on a case by case basis.

Where is the Office of Disability Services located?
The Office of Disability Services is located inside the Learning Resource Center on the second floor of the Student Activities Building. The office number is 207.

I had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in high school; can I use my IEP as documentation?
Although an IEP is helpful in understanding the history of the disability, it cannot be used as documentation for the disability. Please reference the Policy & Procedure Manual to learn the appropriate documentation needed to obtain accommodations.

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school; how are these services different in college?
Colleges are required to provide any reasonable accommodation that may be necessary for equal access to education. They are not required to design special programs for students with disabilities or have Individualized Educational Plans (IEP’s).

What role do my parents play in the process?
Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. In this case, the student is responsible for his/her own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents. Parents can be a wonderful source of support.

Is there a charge for receiving accommodations from Disability Services?
There is no charge for receiving accommodations from the Office of Disability Services.

What if I have not been diagnosed but suspect I have a learning disability?
If you suspect you have a learning disability, we encourage you to meet with the Office of Disability Services. Although Saint Leo University does not provide psycho-educational evaluations, the Assistant Director in the Office of Disability Services will work with the student and decide if a referral is necessary. The Assistant Director will refer the student to an off- campus licensed psychologist for a complete psycho-educational evaluation and assessment of skills. The cost of psycho-educational testing is the responsibility of the student.