Where is International Student Services located?
The office for International Student Services is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located in the Student Activities Building, office #216. The phone number is (352) 588-8489.

Does Saint Leo University have an International Student Club?
Yes. The Intercultural Student Association (ISA) is gearing up for the year for some fun adventures for anyone interested in international issues. Events the ISA organizes or co-sponsors include: the International Signature Week in November (including an international food festival), international movie nights and speakers on international topics as part of the lineup for the week; Monthly Food for Thought trips to various ethnic restaurants within the Tampa Bay area, which the club co-sponsors; signature weeks during the year showcasing various minority groups and themes; trips to various tourist attractions such as the Busch Gardens and Disney theme parks.

Do you have to be an international student to join the club?
No, anyone interested in international and intercultural issues can join the ISA. The more members we have, the stronger a club we are and the more the international students' voices are heard.

Where do I get my I-20 signed before I go home for vacation?
Your I-20 can be signed at the International Student Office.

I want to work on campus. As an international student, am I allowed to do that?
Yes, according to DHS regulations, you are allowed to work on campus during the school year, but for no more than 19 hours per week. During the summer you can work up to 40 hours per week. Please note, work authorization is only limited to on-campus employment for international students according to the DHS regulations. The number of on-campus jobs is not unlimited, and each year, there are more applicants for each campus job than there are jobs available. Those interested in working on-campus need to apply early and be persistent. Students must go through the Student Employment Office to inquire about student employment opportunities.

Will I need a Social Security number to work on campus?
Yes, you will need to come to the International Student Office and talk to the Assistant Director for International Students who will help you obtain a Social Security card. Because of new Social Security Administration rules, you must already have a job offer in order to apply for and obtain a card.

Do I need to have insurance during my studies at Saint Leo?
All international students must enroll in the SLU Health Insurance program. This requirement assures that each student will have health coverage in the case of an accident or sickness during their studies at Saint Leo. Please visit the Health and Dental Insurance page for more information. Visit our Health Center to obtain the health forms required at Saint Leo and for more information regarding health insurance and required immunizations. The state of Florida recently passed Statute 1006.69, which mandates vaccinations against Meningococcal Meningitis and Hepatitis B for every student residing in on-campus housing at any postsecondary educational institution. Please click here for further information.

How do I get my I-20 to begin my studies at Saint Leo University?
You will need to go through the Admissions Office at Saint Leo. That office, in conjunction with the International Student Office, will help process the paperwork to get your I-20. Please click here to obtain documents you will need to submit in order to receive an I-20.

Do international students have to file taxes?
The following information will give you a basic understanding of your responsibilities and tell you how to get more information. Do not construe the information presented here as individual tax advice. Federal income tax obligations of students of F, J, or M status:

  • Everyone in the United States, regardless of immigration status, is responsible each year for submitting a complete and accurate income tax statement to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), an agency of the U.S. Treasury Department. Americans call the process "filing a tax return." Foreign students, regardless of whether they work or earn income while in the United States, must file an appropriate return each year.
  • In many countries, the government assesses and collects from individuals the tax they owe. In the United States, however, it is each individual's personal responsibility to meet his or her tax obligation; the government will not do it for you, but it will penalize you if you do not do it yourself.
  • The International Student Office staff is neither qualified nor permitted to give individual tax advice. Students with complicated tax situations may wish to consult with a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant, or tax attorney who is knowledgeable about nonresident tax law. During the spring semester, the Office of International Student Services organizes a tax seminar where we bring an international tax expert to the campus from H&R Block to assist students with their tax forms and with any tax questions they might have. (The bulk of this information was taken from NAFSA's International Student Handbook)
  • The following two web sites can help you figure out your tax responsibilities: Windstar Technologies' "U.S. Taxation of Foreign Students and Scholars" and the U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

Does Saint Leo have any study abroad opportunities?
Yes, through a series of articulation agreements, Saint Leo University students have the opportunity to spend a semester studying in Rome, Madrid, Leysin, Paris, London, Ireland, Scotland, various cities within the UK, Quito, Greece, Australia, Asia and the Pacific.

If I study abroad, will the financial aid I receive at Saint Leo transfer?
If you are planning on studying at an SLU approved program, all your financial aid, except federal work-study, will transfer. The only additional cost you will incur is the cost of your airplane ticket and any personal expenses. Please remember that to have your financial aid package transfer; you must be approved by the International Student Services Office and by your Academic Advisor for study abroad.

Where do I go to find out more information on study abroad opportunities?
Visit the International Student Office (Student Activities Building, Office #216); send an email to Paige Ramsey-Hamacher, or call (352) 588-8489. There is also very good information about study abroad on the Study Abroad webpage.