Are You Sick?

You feel sick. You may have: a sore throat, swollen glands, fever, nausea with or without vomiting and diarrhea. You want to feel better, so what do you do and where do you go?

  • If you think you may miss class, email and/or call to leave a voicemail for your professor. You don't need to be graphic about your symptoms, Just let him/her know you will be absent due to illness. Look on the course syllabus for the professor’s number.
  • All University Campus students may use this service. If you have the SLU endorsed GM-Southwest insurance we will help you file your claim for service received when you see the doctor. Nursing service is without charge.
  • Remember: You must present your insurance card at time of service.
  • A physician is available on campus for appointments. Walk-ins are also welcome.
  • If you think you need to see a doctor, look at your insurance card. If the name and phone number of a physician from back home is on the face of your insurance card this means you have some limitations. Call home and ask your parent what to do. They may need to contact your insurance company to find a provider here in East Pasco County or get permission to visit the local doctor or emergency room.
  • If you have SLU endorsed insurance (GM Southwest), call the doctor of your choice and make an appointment to be seen as soon as possible. You may see any doctor you choose. However, if you need to be seen right away you may opt to use physicians that routinely see SLU students and are used to working with their schedules and their insurance company. Here are some numbers you might like to have handy:
    • Florida Medical Urgent Care, (813) 715-0374
    • Bay Area Urgent Care (813) 948-5400
    • Pasco Regional Emergency Room (352) 521-1100
    • Dr. Albriton (352) 567-3325
    • Dr. Esposito (352) 567-8640
    • Florida Hospital Emergency Room (813) 788-0411
    • To use SLU endorsed insurance at the doctor's office you will need paperwork. The office staff will want the referral form and a $25.00 co-payment. Also, the insurance company will want a claim form completed and sent to them.
  • You can access a claim form online at the Health Center webpage or pick one up at the Health Center and we can assist you in its completion.
  • If you have an emergency, go directly to the nearest hospital and get care. We can always catch up on the paperwork when you are better.
  • If at any point you have a question, call (352) 588-8347.