1. Is the work a digital educational work, i.e., a work produced
or marketed primarily for performance/display as part of mediated
instructional activities transmitted via digital networks?
Yes: evaluate Fair Use, Permissions, or pursue Licensing
2. Is the work lawfully made and acquired?
Don't Know: Would a reasonable evaluation indicate the origin of
the work to be questionable? If so, stop.
3. Is the work
* An integral part of the class session?
* Part of systematic mediated instructional activities?
* Directly related and of material assistance to the teaching
No: Reevaluate use of the work or evaluate Fair Use,
Permissions, or pursue Licensing.
4. Amounts allowed:
* Nondramatic literary works: All
* Nondramatic musical works: All
* Any other works:
Performances – Reasonable portions in an amount comparable to
that performed in live classroom
Displays – Amount comparable to that performed in live
No: Stop; go evaluate Fair Use ,Permissions, or pursue
Is transmission of the work limited, as technically feasible, to
students enrolled in the course?
No: Stop; evaluate Fair Use ,Permissions, or pursue
D. Downstream Controls
* Have you implemented reasonable measures to prevent retention
of the works for longer than the class session?
* Have you implemented reasonable measure to prevent
unauthorized further dissemination in accessible form by the
E. Conversion: Analog to Digital Is there a digital version of
the work available to the institution?
No: Conversion of analog to digital permitted
Yes: Is the digital version technologically protected to prevent
Yes: Conversion of analog to digital permitted
No: Conversion of analog to digital not permitted
F. Notice to Students
Is there a notice accompanying the work notifying students that
the work may be protected by copyright?
No: Provide a statement.