Trump Stagnant in Approval Rating in New Saint Leo University Polling Institute Survey

September 27, 2017

Photo of the White House

A September survey conducted by the Saint Leo University Polling Institute (http://polls.saintleo.edu) found President Donald Trump’s approval rating nationally still in the low 40-percentage rage, close to where it was in March 2017, when the polling institute last asked American adults to rate the president.

A survey of 1,000 adults conducted online September 10 through September 16 asked whether respondents strongly approved, somewhat approved, somewhat disapproved, or strongly disapproved of the job Trump is doing as president. Those strongly approving were 20.2 percent, and somewhat approving were 22.6 percent, creating an overall approval rating of 42.8 percent. That is a just a bit more than a point lower than the rating of 44.1 percent recorded six months previously—statistically not significant—so essentially Trump’s rating did not improve.

In Florida, where 500 respondents were polled separately, Trump’s approval rating slipped from 48.7 percent in March to 43.1 percent in September. 

Trump also slipped in his approval rating in a sub-category called “keeping his campaign promises” by 11 points nationally, from 52.1 percent in March to 41 percent in September. In Florida, the decline was from 57 percent to 46.8 percent.

Approval of his performance in revamping the Affordable Care Act slipped nationally from 46.7 percent in March to 38.9 percent in September. That follows the president’s active entry into the debate on health care, noted Frank Orlando, director of the Saint Leo University Polling Institute, and political scientist on the faculty of the university.

In Florida, decline in approval of Trump’s handling of the repeal of the Affordable Care Act was not as significant, moving from 51.1 percent in March to 45.8 percent in September.

The September poll was very wide-ranging with an extensive set of questions on the political mood of the country. Eight in 10 Americans said the country is more divided than ever, which was a repeat of the March findings.

The survey also asked about a new issue that has cropped up, whether Confederate statues and symbols or memorabilia should be removed from public areas. About four in 10 in America and Florida agreed either strongly or somewhat that such items should be removed from public areas. But the large national sample also showed opinions varied markedly along racial lines. The survey also asked people their opinions on retaining Confederate history. Read more at http://polls.saintleo.edu.

Further results from the poll will be released throughout the end of September. Other topics covered include the popularity of Pope Francis, public opinion on the criminal justice system, Florida politics, and views on youth contact football.